Criminal Justice Forum 'Alternatives to Custody'
Over the past ten years we have seen the number of people sentenced to custody steadily rise, whilst the number of community sentences has declined significantly. Our prison system is struggling under an increasing population and ageing infrastructure.
This forum will explore how co-ordinated support from voluntary sector services in the community could contribute to early intervention and alternatives to custody – getting people the right support as early as possible to reduce the risk of re-offending.
At this event, you will:
- Get an update on new developments in criminal justice policy
- Hear about developments in Scottish policy around community sentencing as an alternative to short custodial sentences
- Discuss the role the voluntary sector might play if similar legislative changes were implemented in England and Wales
- Explore the challenges and discuss opportunities that an increase in the use of community services as an alternative to custody could present to your organisation
- Network with other organisations to discuss issues and explore solutions.
39 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle, NE1 6QE