This course is an introduction to the issues of difference, diversity and discrimination. It focuses on personal awareness and considers what we can do both practically and personally to improve understanding and to promote diversity.
List of the subjects/issues to be covered:
• The Equalities Act 2010
• The many different types of discrimination.
• What discrimination feels like
• What does ‘diversity’ mean?
• The significance of cultural values and beliefs
• How can we promote diversity in our work
• How to challenge effectively
At the end of this course you will…
• Have knowledge of the 2010 Equalities Act and its implications.
• Have an understanding of the many different forms of discrimination.
• Reflected on your own experiences of discrimination and gained some insight into the effects of discrimination on others.
• Considered ways in which you could better understanding and promote diversity in your work, including how to challenge discriminatory behaviour in others.
Delivered by Lyndsay Yarde of Purple Carrot
Venue: VODA, Queen Alexandra Campus, Hawkeys Lane, North Shields, NE29 9BZ
Costs: £40 VODA members, £50 other voluntary and community organisations, £80 statutory and private organisations.