This open programme provides two three-hour training sessions over two or three weeks. It is designed for individuals new to trusteeship and still within their first year of joining their charity. This programme has grown out of the Better Governance working group, part of North East Together: Leaders Network for Social Change.
The First Trusteeship Competency Framework, a new trustee competency framework, underpins the programme ensuring training is provided inline with current best practice guidance including the Charity Commission publication The essential trustee, the Charity Governance Code for smaller or larger charities, and the ICSA Trustee competency matrix.
By taking part in the programme, you will gain full access to the framework supporting your development as a trustee as well as contributing to improved governance practice within your charity. The framework includes:
- Accessible summaries of the knowledge, skills and duties required to be an outstanding trustee
- Summary of behaviours of an outstanding trustee
- Checklists of what to read to learn about your charity and about being a good trustee
- Knowledge checklist tool
- In-depth skills self-assessment tool
- Trustee development plan template