Primarily working across Northumberland-flexible working will be considered
Contract / Hours: initially a two-year contract- 21 hours per week
Purpose: To establish, develop and implement a physical activity programme for older visually impaired people across Northumberland. To increasing the range, quality, and local availability of physical and social opportunities.
Our experience highlights that many visually impaired people lead very sedentary lives as well as experiencing anxiety, having low morale and feeling isolated.
Covid has made the situation much worse.
This exciting new project will need a Coordinator who will encourage people to engage in activities, maybe for the first time.
You will be expected to arrange a wide variety of activities to include such things as swimming, keep fit, dancing, walking groups etc. to suit the demands of our client group.
You will be responsible for recruiting volunteers to support the activities.
If you are an experienced Project coordinator with a physical activity qualification and want to join a small, friendly, award- winning organisation, then please apply for this post.
For an application pack please email email@example.com
For an informal chat about the role please call 01670514316 and speak to Julie our CEO
Closing date for applications Friday 26th August
Interview date: Monday September 5th
Establishing core sports/physical activities for Visually Impaired Older People across Northumberland.
To represent the organisation at relevant meetings
To recruit and train volunteers to support the project
To play the lead role in the organisation’s physical activity strategy.
Liaising with Visually Impaired People on what activities they would like provided.
To promote the project through networking and liaising with relevant organisations.
To seek out the more isolated Visually impaired people, using internal and external sources.
To develop marketing materials to promote this service using social media, newsletters, and our website, ensuring all material is accessible for Blind and Visually impaired people
To record all data on our management information system
To produce reports and data using quantitative and qualitative information
To deliver all activities within Health and Safety regulations and carry out risk assessments at all venues
Ensure that all volunteers are assessed and have appropriate DBS checks and relevant training
- Be willing to train in visually impairment awareness and train others where necessary
- Any other duties management feel is commensurate with the role
Please note, we are aware that you may not have worked directly with Blind or Visually Impaired People
For the right candidate we will fully train you in this specialised area.
- Understanding the challenges of participation in sports /physical activities in Visually impaired Older People
- Knowledge of Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
- Relevant qualification in physical activities
- Ability to self-start, motivate and inspire others
- Ability to analyse needs, identify opportunities and develop the project to meet funders required outcomes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills adaptable to our diverse client group providing information in accessible formats (training will be given in this area)
- Excellent admin skills, including record keeping and the ability to use a database
- The ability to work effectively as a team member
- Excellent time management skills and self-motivation
- Development and delivery of a physical activities project
- Working with and understanding of the needs of older people
- Working with older Adults
- An understanding of disabilities
- Working with volunteers
- Willingness to work flexibility
- Ability to regularly travel across Northumberland and transporting relevant equipment