Befriending Services Co-ordinator
Job Purpose and Role: To deliver a safe and reliable befriending service for vulnerable adults aged 65+ in Middlesbrough who are experiencing loneliness and isolation
Overall Aims: To reduce the symptoms of isolation and loneliness amongst older people in Middlesbrough thus achieving increased wellbeing and independence for vulnerable or potentially vulnerable adults
This job description is not exhaustive and is intended only as a guide to the range of activities associated with the post.
The duties will require the post holder to:
1. Project Delivery
· Deliver a high quality befriending service in Middlesbrough.
· Recruit and select befrienders for the life of the project. Ensuring there is a thorough and robust selection process in place for potential befrienders.
· Prepare and train befrienders for their role so that they can offer effective support to service users.
· Ensure there is a clear process for the identification and referral of service users.
· Visit, assess and prepare service users for their involvement in the service.
· Match service users with befrienders according to clear guidelines.
· Ensure that participants in the project are adequately safeguarded.
· Support and supervise befrienders and help them develop in their role
2. Project Management
· Set up and maintain the systems necessary to record information regarding the service.
· Monitor the befriending relationships to ensure they are operating successfully and that outcomes for the individuals involved are being met.
· Evaluate the overall effectiveness of the service and the outcomes achievable. Prepare reports accordingly including the number of users, outcomes for service users and the service as a whole, recommendations for improvements and future developments for the service.
· Work closely with AUKT staff and volunteers in relation to older people’s needs and to develop awareness of all AUKT services available.
· Liaise with Adult Social Care, Health and other agencies to promote the service, identify potential service users and to foster good working relationships.
· Work with other partners to promote the wellbeing of people living in Teesside
· Communicate in a clear and logical way with stakeholders.
· Maintain the highest levels of professionalism in handling confidential data, information and disclosure from individuals, organisations and services.
· Work within AUKT policies and procedures
4. Training and Development
· Actively engage with training and personal development opportunities to extend areas of knowledge and develop expertise in Befriending.
5. Health and Safety
· Work within AUKT policies and procedures and to assist colleagues in the effective management of risk.
· Work within the guidance of AUKT’s Lone Working policy and procedure.
· Work in a positive and friendly manner will all stakeholders, partners, funders and community representatives to promote Befriending and to ensure the effective use of skills, resources, time and effort.
· Due to the nature of our work certain tasks and responsibilities are in many circumstances unpredictable and varied. All employees are therefore expected to work in a flexible way and if necessary take on tasks which are not detailed in their job description.
· Attend staff meetings
· Demonstrate a strong commitment to equal opportunities and non-discriminatory practice.
· Confirmation of this post will be subject to a satisfactory enhanced level DBS check.