Chair of Trustees Vacancy at Seven Stories
Seven Stories is the National Centre for Children’s Books and a leading cultural charity in the North East of England. It was founded to save, celebrate and share Britain’s literary heritage for children. Our mission is to support and inspire children, young people, parents, teachers, librarians and others to experience and expand their worlds through books. We have the largest archives of children’s literature and illustrations in the UK and over 25,000 children and young people a year visit our museum or participate in our outreach and online activities. Our turnover is in the region of £1.8 million and we employ 60 staff.
We are recruiting a new Chair to lead and strengthen our Board of Trustees during our next phase of development.
Key responsibilities of the Chair will include
- Leadership and responsibility for good governance
- Manage the Board of Trustees
- Developing and maintaining a productive relationship with the Chief Executive and her Senior team
- Ensuring that Seven Stories fulfils its charitable objectives
- Ensuring that the organisation is financially resilient
- Playing an active role in Sub-Committees and ensuring they meet their objectives.
- Having overall responsibility for driving the long-term strategy of Seven Stories.
We welcome applications from people with good communication and advocacy skills, experience of leadership
in the private, public or third sectors and experience of working with senior management teams in a support/challenge role. An interest in children’s literature is desirable rather than essential but the successful candidate must have empathy with Seven Stories’ mission.
Seven Stories encourages and supports equality, diversity and inclusion. We respect the protected characteristics of the Equality Act and applicants with relevant skills, knowledge and experience from all backgrounds are encouraged.
The closing date for applications is 25 June 2021. Applicants should send a letter of application and short CV to firstname.lastname@example.org; to arrange a confidential conversation please also contact email@example.com.