Gasbags North East
Gasbags North East (18 years on wards) is a social group for gay/bisexual men and for men questioning their sexuality. We host events and activities locally in Newcastle and provide a signposting service to National agencies.
We’re looking to recruit a new Chairperson to play a strategic role in representing the vision and purpose of Gasbags North East. The Chairperson ensures that the management committee functions properly, that there is full participation at meetings, all relevant matters are discussed and that effective decisions are made and carried out. The role of Chair of Trustees requires a commitment of approximately 7 hours per month.
For an informal discussion about the role or to find out how to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Role Description and Skills
Ensure the management committee functions properly
- To plan and run meetings in accordance to the governing document.
- To ensure matters are dealt with in an orderly, efficient manner.
- To bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision-making.
- To facilitate change and address conflict within the board.
- To review governance performance and skills.
- To plan for recruitment and renewal of the Management Committee.
Ensure the organisation is managed effectively
- To liaise with the treasurer and secretary, as appropriate, to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs.
- To co-ordinate the committee to ensure responsibilities for specific aspects of management (e.g. personnel matters, financial control etc) are met and specialist expertise is employed as required.
- To facilitate change and address conflict within the organisation, liaising with the treasurer and secretary to achieve this.
Represent the organisation
- To communicate effectively the vision and purpose of the organisation.
- To advocate for and represent the organisation at external meetings and events.
- To be aware of current issues that might affect the organisation.
Qualities and Skills Required
- Good leadership skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up.
- Good timekeeping.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a management committee.
- Experience of organisational and people management.
- Dynamic and inventive
- Good networking skills
- Working knowledge of fundraising and funding applications, especially the wording of the application.
- Working knowledge of websites and social media.