Riverside works to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities within the west end of Newcastle through using a community development approach to ensure appropriate service provision, and to tackle issues that affect the health of the community in the broadest sense. Due to a planned retirement in early 2022, we have a unique opportunity to recruit an exceptional person to fill our Chief Executive position, who will lead the organisation in continuing to develop the work of Riverside Community Health Project.
The charity has worked in the west end of Newcastle, addressing inequalities, for over forty years through supporting local people to identify and address issues that affect their lives and through delivering a range of services in response to identified need. This is an opportunity to make a positive difference to people who are disadvantaged through providing effective leadership so that the organisation can continue to flourish and bring benefits to local people. The charity prioritises work with women, children, parents, and support to local community groups. Services include support for parents of young children, activities for children under five years, holiday activities for families, support to apply for EU settled status, training and volunteering opportunities, and welfare rights advice.
The core responsibilities of the Chief Executive are to:
- Provide strong and strategic leadership, offer a clear vision to promote and develop the aims of the Organisation
- Shape and deliver services using a community development approach, including addressing inequalities, responding to local needs, involving service users, building capacity, promoting participation, and challenging power structures which are harmful to the wellbeing of communities
- Ensure the continued sustainability of the Organisation within a complex funding environment
- Build strong relationships and partnerships, using effective communication skills, including those of influencing and negotiating
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to deliver the organisation’s strategy, aims and objectives in accordance with our values:
- Significant experience of leadership, including experience of strategy development and effective implementation
- Working with disadvantaged groups and challenging inequalities
- Management experience at a senior level in a charitable organisation or similar
- Competence in financial management, budgeting and fundraising and expertise in managing multiple and diverse funding streams
- Experience of developing and maintaining effective networks and strategic partnerships
- Knowledge of the local, regional and national political and policy landscapes in relation to the aims and objectives of the Organisation, and experience of influencing public policy decision making
- Experience of monitoring, evaluation, reporting and performance management
- Understanding of the governance requirements of a voluntary organisation
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels
- Skills to ensure the effective management and the sustainability of the Carnegie Building
Flexible working and job sharing will be considered. However, the role will require regular in-person presence at the Riverside office located in the west end of Newcastle. Successful candidates will be required to complete an enhanced DBS Disclosure and provide references.
The application form is available to download at:
A CV and covering letter will not be considered in place of an application form. Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted by 23:59 GMT on 31 October 2021.
Prospective candidates are invited to have an informal conversation about the role with the current Chief Executive, Anne Bonner, who is contactable at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Riverside Community Health Project is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from people with a disability and all sectors of our community.
If you feel you meet the criteria and are looking for a rewarding and challenging role in an established and highly successful organisation, we look forward to receiving your application.