Rocket Science is a specialist research and consultancy organisation focusing on poverty and welfare, health and social care, and employability and skills. We work across the UK from our three offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle and London. We work closely with our clients including central and local government, charities and community organisations to review and evaluate services, conduct social research including understanding needs, exploring lived experience, setting strategies and governance structures and conducting quantitative impact analysis such as cost benefit analysis and SROI.
We are looking for a consultant to join our Edinburgh and Newcastle Team to support contracts across the UK. We are looking for an enthusiastic team member with experience in research, social research, or in one of our specialist areas. This post will be based in either our Edinburgh or Newcastle office depending on the preference of the successful candidate.
We offer a highly supportive work environment centred around an intent based leadership approach that empowers Rocket Scientists to be leaders in everything they do. In 2019 we were accredited at Gold level as both Investors in People and Investors in Young People. We were one of the first companies to sign up to the Scottish Business Pledge and we are an accredited Living Wage employer.
Purpose of the role: To contribute to a range of assignments with a variety of clients across the UK, and to winning work
Job base: We are all home working at present so this job will be home based to begin with. Once we resume office working, we will be looking for a candidate to be based at either our Edinburgh or Newcastle office, using a mix of office and home-based working to be agreed. We will provide all the office equipment you need to work comfortably and efficiently from home.
Supervised by: This Consultant position will be supervised by our Scottish based Senior Consultant, Shannon Anderson
Salary scale: Competitve depending on experience
Benefits package: We have a wide range of benefits such as pension contributions, training and development support, and sabbaticals
Hours: Full time 37.5 hours per week – some additional hours are required from time to time
Contract type: Permanent with a six-month probation period
Progression opportunities: We are looking for a candidate with one or more years relevant experience who is looking to build a broad set of core skills and focus time and energy into progressing within the company
Start date: to be negotiated.
Key areas of responsibility
We are looking for an individual to:
- To undertake research/policy work, including: content and data analysis; analysing and interpreting policy, legislation, statistics and other information; identifying good and bad practice; and forecasting trends and future developments
- To help with the development of ideas, products and services on behalf of Rocket Science and/or its clients and in the context, where appropriate, of different public-policy initiatives
- To contribute to the production of proposals, reports and briefings in appropriate forms which may include newsletters, articles, letters and mailings, in paper and electronic form
- To undertake other duties and tasks appropriate to the post as may be required from time to time.
Skills and experience
The person we are looking for is likely to have completed a relevant degree, have 1 or more years’ experience in a relevant field, will be expected to have:
- An understanding of the public policy context in the UK including experience working in a relevant field
- Insights into employability, education, health, social care, or housing related research preferably with experience in one or more fields
- Evidence of strong written communication: ability to clearly articulate a story by bringing together evidence from a range of sources (primary and secondary sources) about complex policy issues
- Evidence of strong data analysis skills including advanced Excel and graphical presentation of patterns and trends
- Evidence of effective oral communication including some of the following: group facilitation, presentation, contribution to meetings (internal and external), interviewing (telephone and face-to-face) and running focus groups
- Ability to work independently and initiate, plan and prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to think creatively and offer ideas in designing our approach to tasks
- Ability to make positive contributions to internal and external teams
- Understanding of how to use IT effectively and appreciate the potential of IT-based solutions and tools to enhance our services to clients.
To apply …
To apply for the role, please submit a CV with covering letter describing how your experience makes you suitable for the role, and the contribution you could make to Rocket Science. These should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the names of two referees, including, if applicable, your most recent or last employer. Please note that referees will not be approached without your prior knowledge, and only following a successful application and interview.
Closing date for applications for the Consultant position is Friday 29th January 2021. We plan to hold virtual interviews for shortlisted candidates during the week commencing 8th February 2021 (but are flexible in terms of the availability of shortlisted applicants).
If you would like an informal discussion roles, please contact Clare Hammond at email@example.com
Rocket Science operates an equal opportunities policy and will appoint solely on the basis of the applicant’s ability to do the job in question. We do not discriminate with reference to age, gender, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, marital status or disability, nor will such factors play any part in decisions on appointment or selection.
More about Rocket Science
We are a highly regarded specialist consultancy with offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle and London. We focus on working with clients to improve the performance of services for the public, and we work as independent advisers, researchers, evaluators, facilitators, trainers and mediators. We specialise in the fields of employability, health and social care, housing and homelessness, learning and skills, third sector development, and local economic development. We recognise the importance of considering intersectionality in all we do, and in gender-informed approaches, and we are currently growing our portfolio of work in these areas. Our services go beyond consultancy to include organisational and partnership development, as well as acting as evaluation partners and managing agents of a number of significant grant programmes. We have a particular commitment to work which helps disadvantaged individuals, families and communities enhance the quality of their lives.
The way we work:
Our values guide the way we work and the way we develop as a company. Rocket Science consultants should behave in ways that are consistent with these values.
- Integrity. One of our greatest values to clients is their confidence in our integrity in all our dealings with them and with those that they work with.
- Making a difference. We have a strong commitment to making a real difference in everything we do; helping clients and other practitioners to achieve their objectives and build their own capacity for excellence.
- Social justice. We work with clients who are committed to contributing to social justice throughout society by supporting the most disadvantaged people to have positive and satisfying life chances through guidance, information, sharing learning and creating access to sustainable and satisfying work.
- Learning and sharing. We are an innovative and creative company with a strong commitment to learning and developing new approaches and sharing these generously with our clients.
- Fun: We really enjoy working together and working with clients we respect. We know we work best when we enjoy what we do.
- Empowering: We are committed to creating the right conditions for transferring skills and knowledge within Rocket Science and to clients and communities, creating lasting value for our clients and developing our own people.
For more detail visit our website at www.rocketsciencelab.co.uk