J O B V A C A N C Y
Dementia Support Workers x 2
1 year Fixed Term Contract with a possibility of an extension
- 1 x 28 hours per week, £15,925 pro rata per annum
- 1 x 21 hours per week, £15,925 pro rata per annum
We require experienced Dementia Support Workers to join our New Dementia Support service.
You will be responsible for working within a small team supporting older people with a dementia diagnosis to participate in a wide range of activities. Experience of working in an environment with older people with dementia is essential.
A flexible approach to work is required. You must demonstrate empathy for older people and an understanding of issues that affect them.
Age UK Sunderland (AUKS)
Post: Dementia Support Worker
Location: AUKS Day Support Centre
Responsible to: Day Services Senior Worker
To provide high quality service to older people living with a dementia diagnosis in our Day Support Centre.
- Provide support for older people with dementia which respects their dignity and privacy.
- Participate and contribute in the delivery of high quality support to service users.
- Make written observations to support individual care plans.
- Deliver and assist with a wide range of dementia support centre activities.
- To support service users with their personal care and toileting as required.
- To assist wheelchair users and those with poor mobility following appropriate moving and handling training.
- Act as an escort on AUKS minibus.
- Assist with serving meals to service users.
- Participate in client activity discussion groups.
- Ensure the Day Support Centre is always clean, attractive and tidy.
- To abide by and implement all policies and procedures of Age UK Sunderland, including being aware of and responsible corporately and as an individual for Health and Safety policy.
- To undertake all reasonable tasks, in keeping with the level of responsibility of the post, as requested by the Director.
- This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- Age UK Sunderland
- Person Specification
- Post: Dementia Support Worker
- Responsible to: Day Services Senior Worker
- Location: AUKS Day Support Centre
- NVQ 2 Health and Social care
- Experience of supporting people living with a dementia diagnosis
- Experience of and ability to provide support for frail older people.
- Understanding of and empathy with the needs and aspirations of older people and those living with dementia.
- Experience of supporting activities for those with a dementia diagnosis
- Ability to deal with older people with dementia in a caring, respectful and courteous manner.
- Ability to make appropriate written records
- Respect confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a team and to use own initiative as appropriate.
- Be prepared to work flexibly to meet changing needs, and staff cover.
- Demonstrate common sense and reliability.
- Willingness to participate in any necessary training.
- Good general standard of education.
This post is subject to DBS Enhanced Disclosure.
To request an application pack you can email email@example.com or download one directly from our website www.ageuksunderland.org.uk. Alternatively send a large SAE for 93p to Age UK Sunderland, Bradbury Centre, Stockton Rd, Sunderland. SR2 7AQ. Tel: 0191 5141131. CV’s are not accepted for this role.
Age UK Sunderland is an Equal opportunities Employer
Registered Charity 1086995
Closing date: Thursday 9th January 2020 at 9.00 am prompt
Interview date: Tuesday 14th January 2020