Chopwell Regeneration Group is looking to appoint a friendly, well-organised and proactive Finance & Admin Manager at The Bank in Chopwell. This is an exciting new role. You will be part of a small, friendly and driven team of 4 people who want to make a positive difference to people’s lives in our village.
What is The Bank?
The Bank is a new social enterprise space in the heart of Chopwell, opening in October 2021. It will provide a welcoming space for our community to meet, eat, take part in activities and learn new skills. It will combine a range of services including a cafe, evolving training programmes, social events, and spaces for local businesses to start up and grow.
More information about The Bank is available at www.chopwell.org/the-bank and on The Bank, Chopwell’s Facebook page.
Who is Chopwell Regeneration CIO?
Chopwell Regeneration CIO is a charity that was formed by residents of Chopwell in 2017. Our charity is dedicated to making Chopwell an even better place to live. Our 8 trustees work with over 130 members and 100+ volunteers from Chopwell to create grassroots projects that first and foremost benefit the people who live here. This includes everything from social events to training programmes, to our biggest project yet - refurbishing the former Lloyds Bank and turning it into a space that will become a well-used, valuable community asset.
If you work for The Bank, you work for Chopwell!
Quite simply, any staff working at The Bank work for the people of Chopwell. It is essential that every staff member we recruit, whatever their role, will be interested and engaged with the people who live here. They will encourage people who live here to get involved and they will be sensitive and responsive to the different needs and interests of the village.
Key information about the Finance & Admin Manager’s role:
Hours per week: 15 hours per week.
We would prefer these hours to be spent over 3 or more days, but we can be flexible.
Although the core role will be spent during the working week, some of the hours may need to be spent on evenings and/or weekends. This would be either where you are involved in events and activities taking place at The Bank or where you will attend a meeting with the Trustees or a Chopwell Regeneration Group public meeting.
Holiday: 6 weeks paid holiday per year (pro rata).
Pay: £10,000 to £12,000 per annum, depending on experience
Place of work: The Bank, 19-21 Derwent Street, Chopwell, NE17 7HU
Reporting to: the Board of Trustees
Contract term: Initial contract for 1 year with a 3 month probation period. We plan for this post to be extended but it will be subject to funding.
Areas of responsibility:
- Accounting, VAT & Fund Monitoring:
- To ensure that financial recording, reporting, and forecasting procedures and controls are in place and operating effectively
- To maintain appropriate accounting records in Xero and ensure timely production of management information
- To produce monthly and annual financial statements as required by trustees and to work with the Independent Examiner to ensure timely filing and distribution
- To work with trustees to produce an annual budget, to review performance against the budget and to monitor the overall charity finances to ensure operation within the agreed budget
- To ensure monthly reconciliation of control accounts and production of agreed payables and receivables.
- To prepare and submit VAT returns, including partial exemption calculations as required, taking specialist advice as necessary
- To ensure monthly payroll information is produced and sent for processing
- To have contact with and report to external funders which will require an understanding of restricted and unrestricted funding and the grant funders’ requirements
- To manage the gift aid claim process
- To monitor cashflow and liaise with the treasurer
- To attend some trustees’ meetings to report to trustees and produce commentaries on the finances of the charity.
- To manage the part-time cleaner.
- To liaise with the other staff members to ensure smooth running of the activities in the building.
- To work with the trustees on HR and recruitment when required.
- To be the keeper of personnel records which should be kept confidential in line with Data Protection & GDPR policies
- Building management
- To be the day to day contact for tenants and manage the letting out of the upstairs rooms.
- To manage supplier contracts (utilities, IT, insurance etc)
The person we are seeking will have:
- excellent IT skills, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel Application
- confident communication skills with a wide range of people
- the ability to provide accurate and timely information to a high standard
- a willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
- the ability to work as an effective and flexible team member and a willingness to accept ad-hoc work requests
- good time management skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks
- a positive, friendly and approachable manner, with a mature, proactive and diplomatic approach
- the ability to support and guide colleagues on complex financial matters as well as giving general support on budgeting
- an approach that mirrors our values – supportive, professional, collaborative, creative and confident
- a knowledge of Chopwell and/or Gateshead services (Desirable)
- experience of working within a social enterprise, charity, arts or educational organisation (Desirable)
How to apply:
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- An up to date CV
- Brief description of your relevant experience and why you are interested in this role
- Contact details of 2 referees
Successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
We welcome applications from Chopwell residents. Any applicant living in an NE17 postcode who meets the essential criteria will be guaranteed an interview.
Deadline for applications: 5pm on Monday 25th October 2021.
Interviews: Monday 8th November (tbc), and will take place at The Bank.
Start Date: Ideally November 2021 but we will be sensitive to candidates’ notice periods or personal circumstances that might prevent this.
If you have any questions about the role, please email: email@example.com. We will try and respond as quickly as we can but please appreciate the Board of Trustees are all volunteers who work sporadic hours for the charity.
We encourage you to read our business plan ahead of an interview. Find it here.