Finance & Operations Manager
Introduction/Background to the Role
The Common Room of the Great North Limited (CRGN) is a new limited company and registered charity, created take forward the restoration and redevelopment of its Grade 2* listed 19th Century building, Neville Hall in Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne (known to many simply as ‘the Mining Institute’) and to preserve its internationally important collection and archive and make it available to a wider audience through a programme of digitisation.
CRGN has been successful in securing approval for funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the North East Local Enterprise Partnership and several Trusts, Foundations and individual donors, enabling it to proceed to develop and restore the Mining Institute building.
The £7.1 million development project will deliver
- From September 2020 a fully accessible, restored building with climate-controlled spaces for archives and collections and a library facility for its users, education spaces for learning and conference and meeting spaces for commercial, educational and community hire.
- On-line worldwide access to the collection and archive, piloted from 2019 and fully completed by 2022.
- A catering and bar infrastructure to serve the public and produce the commercial income to cover overheads and produce surpluses to underwrite an ongoing education and engagement programme in the building and in the region.
- A heritage interpretation programme which enables the public to understand and celebrate the heritage.
- An “On the Road” engagement and education programme when the building is closed for restoration 2019-2020 and thereafter in strategic areas of educational and social deprivation across the North East.
- A celebratory Festival in 2022, commemorating the 150th anniversary of the building’s completion in 1872 and the 175th anniversary of the Institute’s foundation in 1856.
The Common Room will be ‘a celebration of graft and glory; telling the stories of the North East that changed the world, then and now’ by…
- Revitalising our Grade 2* Listed building and making a step change in the access and interpretation of our internationally recognised archive of the Industrial Revolution we will provide the space, and inspiration, for new collaborations and innovations.
- Instilling pride, ownership and understanding to support the North East economy…
- Using our unique heritage to inspire the next generation of innovators and engineers…
- Engaging with the business community, the Common Room programme will deliver this, providing education and enrichment for young people, promoting skills development for the region's workforce and engaging the public with the heritage.
Job Summary and Purpose
- To manage financial systems and processes for Common Room of the Great North (CRGN) and any trading subsidiary companies, ensuring accounting information is recorded and reported in an accurate and timely manner
- To manage the central administration functions (admin, ICT, HR and office services) to ensure the efficient operation of the organisation
- To ensure compliance with all external statutory requirements, including insurance, licensing, charity and company law etc.
- To be the responsible officer for Health and Safety for CRGN’s operations.
- To lead, manage and develop the Finance & Resources team
- To develop, implement and monitor a financial management plan to provide for CRGN’s long-term financial planning
- To have overall responsibility for CRGN’s premises, HR and ICT systems and central administration function
- To draw up, control and manage overheads budgets
- To produce monthly management accounts and other financial & statistical information as required
- To draw up, control and manage the company payroll
- To prepare and submit VAT returns
For further details and how to apply please visit https://mininginstitute.org.uk/about-us/vacancies/