Maternity cover for 12 months, 20 hours per week @ £9.55ph
Have an understanding of children & young people?
Want to make a difference?
Enjoy being listened to and have involvement in shaping services for young people?
Northbourne Youth Initiative is a small charity working right in the heart of Elswick, Newcastle, based in an end terrace house on the Northbourne Estate.
We are seeking a qualified and experienced Play & Youth Worker who is keen to make a difference to the lives of the young people we work with. You should be fun, active, caring and enthusiastic (that’s what the young people tell us).
At Northbourne we deliver activities for 8-12 years, 11-14 & 13-19 years the right candidate would work with both age ranges; Monday, Wednesday & Thursday Evenings and occasional weekends.
Responsible to: Youth Initiative Manager
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Deliver and promote high quality, play and youth work opportunities, inclusive for all children and young people 8-19 years whatever their abilities.
- Participate in the design, development and delivery of evening sessions for 8 to 18 year olds, including holiday provision.
- To take lead responsibility for key areas of provision as identified within supervision and appraisals.
- Welcome all children and young people in a friendly manner and provide them with a safe space to work in.
- To establish and maintain appropriate relationships with children and young people.
- Make sure that the programme of activities delivered is fun, interesting, valuable and appropriate to the children using the facilities by providing a variety of opportunities and identifying and accommodating changing needs.
- To ensure all children and young people using the service within the session, receive appropriate support and information.
- To ensure that all paperwork relevant to the sessions is completed appropriately.
- To monitor and evaluate in line with funding criteria’s.
- To insure that any work is carried out within risk assessments done for the activity or session.
- To contribute to maintaining the overall condition of the club, ensuring it is a safe and positive space for young people to attend.
- To contribute to both briefing and de-briefing sessions with staff and volunteers for the session and to ensure that any client and session records are maintained.
- Collect and collate outcomes monitoring information and follow organisational procedures.
- To actively involve young people in shaping and influencing the direction of the project.
- To implement project and organisational policies and procedures into daily work practice.
- To comply with and implement our Safeguarding policy and ensure that child protection issues are fully reported, recorded and dealt with appropriately.
- To comply with and implement our Equal Opportunities Policy and any specific policies and procedures designed to promote and monitor equal opportunities.
- To comply with and implement our Health and Safety Policy and Procedure relating to the specific activities on which you are employed.
- To attend regular supervision sessions, staff meetings as required and undertake any training as required
- To be aware of the needs of other workers, paid or unpaid, and contribute positively to a supportive working environment.
- To be part of a multi-agency environment working with young people with diverse needs
- To undertake any other duties as might reasonably be asked of the post holder at the request of the Youth Initiative Manager.
Your role would include delivery and development of the activities and sessions.
Some of our current activities include Music making and DJ project, wellness and health activities, The Duke of Edinburgh award, Football, youth drop in sessions and community engagement.
If you have an interest in or experience of any of the above or you could bring another skill to our project to share with our young people: we want to hear from you.
Please visit our website and have a look at what we have been up to by reading our blogs and our annual reports.
For an application pack please email: Northbournestreetyi@gmail.com please feel free to arrange an informal chat if you require any additional information. Information about our work can be found via our website www.northbourneyi.org
Closing Date: Tuesday 25th February 2020
Interview Date: Tuesday 3rd March PM