Rocket Science is a specialist research and consultancy organisation focusing on poverty and welfare, health and social care, and employability and skills. We work across the UK from our three offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle and London. We work closely with our clients including central and local government, charities and community organisations to review and evaluate services, conduct social research including understanding needs, exploring lived experience, setting strategies and governance structures and conducting quantitative impact analysis such as cost benefit analysis and SROI.
We are looking for a health and social care research expert to join our growing team to support and help drive our health and social care social research across Scotland and the North East of England as well as provide support for projects across the UK. We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced team member who is interested in progressing into senior management of the company in the medium term.
We offer a highly supportive work environment centred around an intent-based leadership approach that empowers Rocket Scientists to be leaders in everything they do. In 2019 we were accredited at Gold level as both Investors in People and Investors in Young People. We were one of the first companies to sign up to the Scottish Business Pledge and we are an accredited Living Wage employer.
Job title: Principal Consultant
Purpose of the role: Support and drive our Health and Social Care social research market across Scotland and North East England
Job base: We are all home working at present so this job will be home based to begin with. Once we resume office working we will be looking for a candidate to be based at either our Edinburgh or Newcastle office, using a mix of office and home based working to be agreed. We will provide all the office equipment you need to work comfortably and efficiently from home.
Supervised by: This Principal Consultant position will be supervised by our Scottish based Director, Clare Hammond, who leads our Health and Social Care market across the UK
Salary scale: £38,266 - £48,336 depending on experience
Benefits package: We have a wide range of benefits such as pension contributions, training and development support, and sabbaticals
Hours: Full time 37.5 hours per week – some additional hours are required from time to time
Contract type: Permanent with a six-month probation period
Progression opportunities: We are looking for a candidate interested in making progress in Rocket Science. The role directly above this role is an Associate Director with a salary band of £48,336 - £65,455.
Start date: to be negotiated.
Key areas of responsibilty
We are looking for an individual to:
- Support and drive the building of our health and social care social research market (business development) in Scotland and North East England, working with our Health and Social Care company lead
- Lead teams carrying out research and consultancy projects in health and social care and delivering deliver high quality, influential work including desk based analysis, field work, written and oral presentation of findings, and facilitation
- Actively explore and understand emerging and cutting-edge evidence on what works across a wide range of health and social care areas and issues
- Support and develop more junior staff. This may include being a supervisor for one or more staff members.
- Contribute to and lead the development and presentation of proposals for assignments
- Develop strong working relationships with current and potential clients that lead to research and analysis work won by Rocket Science
Skills and experience
We are looking for a candidate who can demonstrate the following:
- 5+ years’ experience in health and social care in one or more of the following areas:
- Mental health
- Children and families’ social work
- Social care for children, adults and older people
- Long term conditions such as cancer, chest, heart, stroke, endometriosis etc
- Youth health
- Trauma and multiple and complex needs
- Community and criminal justice.
- Strong research and analysis skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Service review
- Needs assessments
- Cost benefit analysis and social return on investment
- Organisational development.
- The applicant may be a qualified health or social work practitioner, but this is not vital
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship management
- Strong communication skills including written and oral skills
- Strong project management skills to deliver small to medium sized research and consultancy projects on time and within budget
- Curious and inquisitive nature, actively growing their understanding of the evidence and what works
- Strong team working skills and effective collaborative behaviours.
To apply for the job…
To apply for this role, please submit a CV with covering letter describing how your experience makes you suitable for the role, and the contribution you could make to Rocket Science. These should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the names of two referees, including, if applicable, your most recent or last employer. Please note that referees will not be approached without your prior knowledge, and only following a successful application and interview.
Closing date for applications Friday 26th February 2021.
We plan to hold virtual interviews for shortlisted candidates during the week commencing 8th March 2021 (but are flexible in terms of the availability of shortlisted applicants).
If you would like an informal discussion about this role, please contact Clare Hammond at email@example.com
Rocket Science operates an equal opportunities policy and will appoint solely on the basis of the applicant’s ability to do the job in question. We do not discriminate with reference to age, gender, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, marital status or disability, nor will such factors play any part in decisions on appointment or selection.
More about Rocket Science
We are a highly regarded specialist consultancy with offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle and London. We focus on working with clients to improve the performance of services for the public, and we work as independent advisers, researchers, evaluators, facilitators, trainers and mediators. We specialise in the fields of employability, health and social care, housing and homelessness, learning and skills, third sector development, and local economic development. We recognise the importance of considering intersectionality in all we do, and in gender-informed approaches, and we are currently growing our portfolio of work in these areas. Our services go beyond consultancy to include organisational and partnership development, as well as acting as evaluation partners and managing agents of a number of significant grant programmes. We have a particular commitment to work which helps disadvantaged individuals, families and communities enhance the quality of their lives.
Our values guide the way we work and the way we develop as a company. Rocket Science consultants should behave in ways that are consistent with these values.
- Integrity. One of our greatest values to clients is their confidence in our integrity in all our dealings with them and with those that they work with.
- Making a difference. We have a strong commitment to making a real difference in everything we do; helping clients and other practitioners to achieve their objectives and build their own capacity for excellence.
- Social justice. We work with clients who are committed to contributing to social justice throughout society by supporting the most disadvantaged people to have positive and satisfying life chances through guidance, information, sharing learning and creating access to sustainable and satisfying work.
- Learning and sharing. We are an innovative and creative company with a strong commitment to learning and developing new approaches and sharing these generously with our clients.
- Fun: We really enjoy working together and working with clients we respect. We know we work best when we enjoy what we do.
- Empowering: We are committed to creating the right conditions for transferring skills and knowledge within Rocket Science and to clients and communities, creating lasting value for our clients and developing our own people.
For more detail visit our website at www.rocketsciencelab.co.uk