An exciting opportunity has arisen for a dynamic, inquisitive and passionate Programme Officer to support the programme delivery of an ambitious new charity seeking to become a beacon of excellence in tackling social mobility for young people aged 13-18 in the North East.
- Salary: £19,000 - £21,000p.a. (or pro rata as appropriate), negotiable depending on experience
- Contract: we welcome applicants looking for a full- or part-time position
- Duration: Fixed Term to 31st July 2022
- Location: Newcastle upon Tyne; some travel for event delivery within the Region will be required
You will need to hold relevant UK visas/work permits and ideally hold a full, clean UK driving licence. Given the nature of the role and the potential for regular, unsupervised contact with young people, you will be subject to an Enhanced Check through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
About the Role
We are looking for a talented Programme Officer to deliver meaningful change for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds in the Region. This role would be particularly suited to a recent or upcoming graduate, and will suit anyone interested in tackling social challenges, developing the workforce of tomorrow, and contributing to the success of the Region’s digital economy.
The role is designed as a comprehensive one-year package, to help you further develop the skills, attributes and abilities that will support you to excel and flourish in your future career. You will gain in-depth skills and experiences through delivering all aspects of our programme and through dedicated training. Your colleagues will be committed to ensuring you get the most out of this opportunity, aligned with your own personal career objectives.
As a team member in a small charity, you will also have the opportunity to assist with the general work of the Foundation, as directed by the General Manager.
About the Foundation
Altitude Foundation is a new, North East-based social mobility charity with big ambitions. We aim to create a world where all young people with a passion for technology are enabled to smash social barriers to achieve a successful career.
Working with young people across three age-targeted intervention programmes - 13 to 16, 17 to 18, and 18 to 21 - Altitude Foundation provides access to the finances, social capital, opportunities and the supportive relationships needed to succeed in tertiary education and beyond. The charity is particularly focused on supporting young people who may experience socio-economic and cultural barriers to progressing to a career in the technology sector.
Given the dynamic nature of the charity as a small and developing venture, you will need to be flexible to respond to the needs of the organisation, commensurate with the level and responsibilities of the post.
We are looking for exceptional candidates who can demonstrate:
- Either a recently awarded degree in a relevant field (e.g. STEM), or due to complete such a degree at the end of the current academic year
- Demonstrable programming and coding skills, or the willingness to develop them as part of the role
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to multitask
- Experience of facilitating and/or supporting activities and events, preferably with a focus on young people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to credibly engage with a range of audiences
- Empathy with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and understanding of the socio-economic barriers that they face
- The ability to work well independently and as part of a team
It would be great if you have:
- A passion for technology and a commitment to the North East region
- Experience of working with volunteers to deliver projects
- A full, clean driving licence
The ideal candidate will be: passionate about the potential for education to affect social change; digitally savvy; approachable and friendly; highly organised, motivated and great at getting things done; comfortable being creative and innovative in programme delivery; and incredibly supportive of diversity.
Commitment to diversity is one of Altitude Foundation’s core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skill sets and backgrounds. That’s why we aim to recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle social mobility. We particularly welcome applicants from underrepresented groups.
For further information about the role, please contact Marie at email@example.com.
To submit an application, please send a CV and completed application grid to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be considered without an application grid, which can be found here.
Applications close at 11:30pm on Sunday 20th June 2021.
Preliminary phone interviews are expected to take place on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th June. If these dates do not suit you, please let us know.
An Assessment Centre will be held during the week commencing 5th July.