We are seeking a full-time member of staff to support the advocacy team, to deliver an effective and high-quality advocacy service. The advocacy team provides statutory advocacy services to clients across the North East under the Mental Health Act (IMHA), the Mental Capacity Act (IMCA) the Care Act and the Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR) role under Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DOLS).
As a Senior Advocate you will line-manage 3-5 advocates oversee their support and development and will share responsibility for allocating clients to the team. You will work closely with our Advocacy Managers to support the development and improvement of our services.
You will also be expected to manage a caseload, which includes picking up referrals, arranging and attending client meetings and meetings with other professionals, ascertaining, and representing the client’s wishes.
- Provide appropriate line management, support and challenge to members of the advocacy team including detailed case support to advocates in your team.
- Oversee the training and development of your team.
- Monitor service capacity and manage the allocation of referrals to advocates on a weekly basis.
- Ensure, through regular monitoring and feedback, the quality and accuracy of case notes, reports and record keeping from advocates in your team.
- Respond to relevant queries from referrers, service users and members of the public.
- Maintain a focus on the delivery of a high-quality advocacy service. Monitor key statistical and qualitative data to ensure the service is reaching agreed targets.
- Carry a case load of advocacy referrals (within roughly 50% of your full-time role) in accordance with statutory service criteria (IMHA, IMCA, CAA, RPR), Your Voice Counts engagement protocols and quality standards.
- Promote and publicise the advocacy service in creative ways to ensure it reaches people who may require the service. Promote the service to other stakeholders such as partner organisations and professionals.
- Keep abreast of developments in relevant legislation and good practice guidance.
- Assist the Advocacy Managers and Senior Management Team to determine any future development of the service and take lead responsibility for specific areas of work as required.
Just as our values are key to our ways of working, attitude is key to our staff team. We work in challenging, changing circumstances with a very vulnerable client group. We are looking for someone with excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to develop team working, and who is empathetic and supportive but not afraid to challenge when challenge is needed. We are looking for someone who has good attention to detail and understands the importance of effective systems and processes. We’re looking for someone who has a demonstrable belief in the rights of people who use our services.
The person we’re looking for will:
- Have strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to develop team working and be able to motivate, support and drive high performance in your team.
- Have a strong focus on collaborative working within a dynamic team and a commitment to helping everyone improve.
- Be well-organised with an ability to handle a busy workload and prioritise effectively.
- Have excellent IT skills, including use of databases and data collection, and be able to build and run effective systems and processes.
- Be an excellent communicator, with an ability to adapt your approach in order to engage with a wide range of stakeholders including people who use our services and professionals.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with vulnerable people who often have significant communication barriers.
- Have a commitment to equal opportunities and confidentiality.
- Approach issues objectively and diplomatically.
- Hold an Independent Advocacy Qualification, including the IMHA, IMCA and/or Care Act modules (desirable – we will consider applications from people willing to undertake this qualification as a condition of employment).
Use of your own vehicle will greatly assist you in this role, but it is not essential.