Monday, 4 May, 2020 - 17:00
Virgin Money Foundation
The Virgin Money Foundation will be 5 years old in August 2020. Since it launched it has awarded over £8million to community organisations working in places that need the support the most. Its work has focused on the North East of England but over the five years it has begun to expand its footprints into other areas of England, Scotland and Wales.
The Virgin Money Foundation is looking to recruit additional Trustees to help govern its activity. The Foundation believes that big changes happen locally and backs the incredible people who have the imagination, commitment and skill to change their neighbourhood for the better. It invests in their work, supporting them with funding and any other resources that it can help to provide - including the expertise of Virgin Money colleagues – to make their impact as great as possible.
The Foundation currently has eight Board Members and is recruiting new Trustees as part of a planned trustee succession process. Its board members are a group of brilliant volunteers who give up their valuable time to support the Virgin Money Foundation, setting its strategy and deciding how it should use the resources it has to make the biggest difference possible. The Trustees have a collective responsibility to ensure the proper administration of the charity. They safeguard its funds and make sure that all its assets and resources are used efficiently and effectively.
The Board meets once a quarter for an afternoon and evening, has an additional strategy day once per year and all trustees are asked to commit to one additional sub-committee. Travel and accommodation costs are covered by the Foundation.
What are we looking for?
The Foundation has Trustees with a broad mix of skills and experience. It would like to build this by adding individuals who can strengthen the Board in one or more of the following areas.
Knowledge / Experience of one or more of these areas is an ESSENTIAL requirement:
• Knowledge of national policy concerning community–led innovation, housing and the regeneration of communities that have experienced social or economic decline
• Knowledge of the voluntary sector nationally
• Knowledge of the voluntary sector specifically in the North East of England and/or Glasgow
• Knowledge of the needs and solutions relating to the access to affordable, sustainable housing
• Experience of delivering social or economic regeneration programmes in the UK
• Knowledge of the range of social investment products marketed to the voluntary sector in the UK
In addition to the above we are interested to hear from candidates who bring one of the following skills:
• Understanding of the specific needs in communities that VMF is aiming to reach – the Foundation spends all of its funds in communities that rank highest on the Governments Index of Multiple Deprivation.
• Legal and regulatory
• Experience of bid writing
• Financial Management
• Commercial/ Management
• Marketing/ PR
This opportunity is open to all, and we will invite those likely to make the strongest contribution over time to become a Trustee.
How to apply?
We would love to hear from you if you are interested in this opportunity.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org enclosing your CV and a response to the following three questions:
• Why have you applied to become a Trustee and what are your particular interests in this role?
• Which of the six essential requirements listed above would you be able to contribute to the Foundation’s Board? Please tell us about your knowledge and experience of the area(s) you have highlighted.
• Do you have any of the seven desirable skills we have listed?
The closing date for applications is Monday 4th 2020.
We look forward to hearing from you!