Job Title: Trustee
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Hours: The Board meets not less than six times per year + one planning day
Involve North East is seeking to appoint additional Trustees to strengthen the existing Board. We are interested in applicants who have a range of skills and experience and although charitable governance knowledge would be beneficial, support and training will be available for those new to the role.
The Involve North East Board of Trustees is responsible for setting the overall strategy of the organisation and for ensuring it meets its charitable objects. As members and directors of the company, our Trustees have oversight of the management and operations of the charity, ensuring that we fulfil our contractual obligations and remain fully compliant with current legislation, embedding and exemplifying best practice in all that we do.
Involve North East is an independent registered charity and company limited by guarantee. We work with integrity, ensuring people’s voices influence the design of the health and social care services they receive. We have vast experience and expertise in gathering the views and opinions of patients, carers and the general public in relation to health services. For example:
- Service evaluations
- Changes to care pathways
- Location of new services
Involve North East’s objects are the promotion and protection of the good health of the inhabitants of North East England. We do this by seeking to put patients, carers and the public at the heart of health and social care services. Our strategic objectives are:
- Gather community intelligence about health, wellbeing and social care services;
- Use community intelligence to influence relevant commissioning and service plans;
- Build effective working relationships with relevant partners and organisations;
- Present information in simple, accessible and easily understood formats (e.g. from commissioners);
- Train people with responsibility for involvement in best practice methods and techniques.
These objectives are met through a variety of activities and initiatives, including organising and facilitating consultation events and research activities with members of the public, producing newsletters and other information bulletins, identifying areas where needs of the population are not met by current services and therefore promoting the need for change, and identifying and promoting shared issues and trends within community health.
The Trustees are supported by the Charity Chief Executive and Chair who welcome the innovation, expertise and experience that a diverse board bring.
The duties of a Trustee Board member are to:
- Ensure that the Charity upholds the requirements set out in its governing document and that it remains true to its mission, objects and values
- Ensure that the organisation complies with Charity law, Company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Develop and monitor the delivery of a strategic plan, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against targets
- Act with integrity, safeguarding the reputation of Involve North East
- Ensure the financial viability of the Charity, applying scrutiny and analysis to financial reports in line with the agreed budget
- Promote the interests of Involve North East within a wider network, acting as an ambassador for the organisation when required
Each trustee must have:
- A commitment to the mission and values of Involve North East
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- A commitment to equality and diversity
- An interest in health and wellbeing
- Strategic vision
- Informed, independent judgement
- A capacity to think creatively and voice opinions
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- A commitment to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions in the interest of the Charity
Trustees are invited to attend an induction session prior to their first Board meeting. The Board meet not less than six times per year and the schedule of meetings is agreed by Trustees in advance for the forthcoming year.
Trustees are expected to attend all Board meetings and an additional planning and strategy day held locally once each year. Whilst this role is unpaid Trustees are able to claim reasonable out-of-pocket expenses in line with our expenses policy.
If you would like to find out more or express an interest in becoming a Trustee please contact Andrew White, Chief Executive in the first instance: Email: Andrew@involvene.org.uk