Sight Service – Gateshead and South Tyneside
Sight Service is the leading local sight loss charity in Gateshead and South Tyneside. We have a well-established reputation for delivering high quality services that make a real difference to the lives of blind and partially sighted people of the region.
It is an exciting time at Sight Service as we evolve to ensure we can continue to meet the needs of the blind and partially sighted people of Gateshead and South Tyneside.
We are looking to strengthen our Board of Trustees. If you are interested in the role below then in the first instance, please contact the Sight Service Chair – Lin Elder-Atterton MVO email@example.com
Trustee with financial skills.
Under the guidance of the Sight Service Chair work closely with the Treasurer, Chief Executive and the Board of Trustees.
Finance, strategy and governance, legal, risk.
As a Trustee you will form part of a friendly, successful non-executive Board that jointly guides the direction and overviews the performance of Sight Service.
As a financial specialist you will not necessarily be expected to have expertise in sight loss, but you will work with others on the Board and in the staff that share your commitment to supporting those affected by sight loss
In conjunction with the Treasurer and CEO you will:
- Monitor and advise the Board on the financial standing of the charity and overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources.
- Help oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process and comment on the financial health to the Board at regular intervals.
- When required, act as a counter-signatory on cheques and applications to funders.
- Assist the Board in its duty to ensure proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are controlled, invested and economically spent in line with governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Attend Board, AGM and Finance & Property meetings.
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost management and investment policies.
- With other Trustees, review, formulate and make policy decisions across the workings of Sight Service
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and finance practices, with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- Computer literate.
- Qualified accountant with current knowledge of charity SORP.
- Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Skills and experience in one or more areas of non-executive governance and management e.g. strategic planning, business management, financial/accountancy, understanding of HR issues, experience of Trusts or other grant giving bodies particularly fundraising and legal knowledge.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
The Board meets at least 4 times a year and Trustees are expected to be available for these meetings and to attend the Annual General Meeting.
We are in the process of developing a Finance & Property Panel which will meet 3-4 times in a year, to which this Trustee would attend.
Attendance at other Panel meetings is optional.
All Trustee meetings are normally held at The Bradbury Centre for Sight, Unit 2B Stonehills Business Centre, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE10 0HW.