Sight Service is the leading local sight loss charity in Gateshead and South Tyneside. We have a well-established reputation for delivering high quality services that make a real difference to the lives of blind and partially sighted people of the region.
It is an exciting time at Sight Service as we evolve to ensure we can continue to meet the needs of the blind and partially sighted people of Gateshead and South Tyneside.
We are looking to strengthen our Board of Trustees. If you are interested in the role below then in the first instance, please contact the Sight Service Chair – Lin Elder-Atterton MVO firstname.lastname@example.org
Trustee with income development and fundraising skills
Under the guidance of the Sight Service Chair work closely with the Treasurer, Chief Executive and the Board of Trustees.
Income development (charitable), fundraising, marketing/promotions.
As a Trustee you will form part of a friendly, successful non-executive Board that jointly guides the direction and overviews the performance of Sight Service.
As a fundraising/charitable income development specialist you will not necessarily be expected to have expertise in sight loss, but you will work with others on the Board and in the staff that share your commitment to supporting those affected by sight loss
In conjunction with the CEO you will:
- Support the development of the income development and fundraising strategy for the charity and lead the new income development sub-committee.
- Develop and agree an income development and fundraising strategy.
- Support the CEO and wider Sight Service staff team with income development and fundraising activity to ensure the strategy is implemented.
- Encourage an entrepreneurial income development and fundraising culture across Sight Service and our service users.
- Being an active champion of the organisation.
- When required, act as a counter-signatory on cheques and applications to funders.
- Assist the Board in its duty to ensure proper practices and records are kept in line with governance, legal and regulatory requirements particularly regarding fundraising regulations.
- Attend Board, AGM and income development/fundraising sub-committee meetings.
- With other Trustees, review, formulate and make policy decisions across the workings of Sight Service
- Fundraising/income-generation experience.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, fundraising regulations, Charity Commission and statutory requirements.
- An understanding of the challenges facing small to medium UK charities in maximising income streams, fundraising and donor cultivation.
- Excellent networking skills, influencing and communication skills.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- Computer literate.
- Experience of diverse charitable income development and fundraising practices.
- Knowledge of digital or social media.
- Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Skills and experience in one or more areas of non-executive governance and management e.g. strategic planning, business management, financial/accountancy, understanding of HR issues, experience of Trusts or other grant giving bodies particularly fundraising and legal knowledge.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
The Board meets at least 4 times a year and Trustees are expected to be available for these meetings and to attend the Annual General Meeting.
We are in the process of developing an Income development sub-committee which will meet 3-4 times in a year, to which this Trustee would attend.
Attendance at other Panel meetings is optional.
All Trustee meetings are normally held at The Bradbury Centre for Sight, Unit 2B Stonehills Business Centre, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE10 0HW.