Gasbags North East
Gasbags North East (18 years onwards) is a social group for gay/bisexual men and for men questioning their sexuality. We host events and activities locally in Newcastle and provide a signposting service to National agencies.
For an informal discussion about the roles or to find out how to apply, please email email@example.com
We’re looking to recruit a new Chairperson to play a strategic role in representing the vision and purpose of Gasbags North East. The Chairperson ensures that the management committee functions properly, that there is full participation at meetings, all relevant matters are discussed and that effective decisions are made and carried out. The role of Chair of Trustees requires a commitment of approximately 7 hours per month.
Role Description and Skills
Ensure the management committee functions properly
- To plan and run meetings in accordance to the governing document.
- To ensure matters are dealt with in an orderly, efficient manner.
- To bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision-making.
- To facilitate change and address conflict within the board.
- To review governance performance and skills.
- To plan for recruitment and renewal of the Management Committee.
Ensure the organisation is managed effectively
- To liaise with the treasurer and secretary, as appropriate, to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs.
- To co-ordinate the committee to ensure responsibilities for specific aspects of management (e.g. personnel matters, financial control etc) are met and specialist expertise is employed as required.
- To facilitate change and address conflict within the organisation, liaising with the treasurer and secretary to achieve this.
Represent the organisation
- To communicate effectively the vision and purpose of the organisation.
- To advocate for and represent the organisation at external meetings and events.
- To be aware of current issues that might affect the organisation.
Qualities and Skills Required
- Good leadership skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up.
- Good timekeeping.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a management committee.
- Experience of organisational and people management.
- Dynamic and inventive
- Good networking skills
- Working knowledge of fundraising and funding applications, especially the wording of the application.
- Working knowledge of websites and social media.
Secretary Role Responsibilities and other Duties
The role of the secretary is to support the chair in ensuring the smooth functioning of the Management Committee. In organisations without paid staff, the secretary may take a greater role in the day-to-day administration of the organisation. The Secretary’s tasks include:
Ensure Responsible Administration
● To prepare agendas in consultation with the Chair and other committee members.
● To circulate agendas and any supporting papers (written and/or electronic) in good time.
● To receive agenda items from other committee members.
● To check that quorum is present.
● To minute meetings and circulate the draft minutes to all committee members.
● To ensure that the chair signs the minutes once they have been approved.
● To check that committee members and staff have carried out action(s) agreed.
● To circulate agendas and minutes of the annual general meeting (AGM) and any special or extraordinary general meetings.
● To ensure up-to-date records are kept of committee membership.
Make Arrangements for Meetings
● To ensure arrangements for meetings are met (booking the room, arranging for equipment (also appropriate documentation) and refreshments, organising facilities for those with special
● To sit on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Qualities and Skills Required
● Organisational ability.
● Experience of committee work and procedures.
● Minute-taking experience.
● Good communication and interpersonal skills.
● Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
● Approachable and sensitive to the feelings of others.
● Well organised and an eye for detail.
● Ability to work well with the Chair and other committee members.
● Good timekeeping.
● Knowledge and experience of IT including social media and websites.
Time Commitment: The role of Secretary requires a commitment of 2 hours per month (this can vary depending on the situation).