Based in central Wallsend, Walking With in North Tyneside supports asylum seekers, refugees and others in need in North Tyneside and surrounding area. We are seeking a competent Volunteer Coordinator to join our small team. The successful candidate will be reponsible for recruiting, managing and training volunteers for Walking With.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role involves assessing and meeting the needs of Walking With through the recruitment, placement and retention of volunteers.
You'll manage volunteers and the relationships with those they come into contact with, including other employees and our clients. You will also monitor, evaluate and accredit volunteers.
As a volunteer coordinator, you will:
- Source and recruit volunteers using different recruiting techniques
- Interview, recruit and match volunteers to appropriate roles and responsibilities
- Ensure there is appropriate induction, support and training for all volunteers
- Organise and manage rotas and schedules for everyday activities
- Communicate effectively with volunteers
- Ensure volunteers are satisfied by creating a healthy working environment, in accordance with the policies and procedures of Walking With
- Keep and manage records of volunteers’ information and work, tracking and evaluating volunteers’ work as appropriate
- research and write volunteer policies and procedures, including risk assessments
- generate and promote appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of Walking With, organising profile-raising events to attract new volunteers as appropriate
- Monitor, support, motivate and accredit volunteers and their work, providing regular constructive feedback
- celebrate volunteering by nominating volunteers for awards and organise celebration events
- offer advice and information to volunteers and external organisations through face-to-face, telephone and email contact
- attend committees and meetings as appropriate
- keep up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and make any necessary modifications to accommodate changes
- monitor and evaluate activities and write reports for funders and trustees
Requirements and qualifications
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate most of the following:
- Substantial experience in volunteering
- Experience in attracting, sourcing and recruiting volunteers
- Good knowledge of different recruiting methods
- Experience using HR and recruiting tools
- an empathy with volunteers and an understanding of their needs
- the capacity to inspire and motivate others
- the ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity
- good organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks
- administrative and IT skills, and an ability to maintain records and produce clear written and oral reports
- an understanding of outcome-based assessment
- experience of working across different sectors and developing links with other agencies
- a flexible and non-judgemental approach to people and work.
- Team player
- excellent communication skills
- Good time-management skills
- strong interpersonal skills, to deal with a diverse range of people
This is a part-time position (0.6 fte). Hours are 22 hours per week. Evening and weekend work may be involved. Your usual place of work will be the Walking With Centre, Hugh Street, Wallsend. NE28 6RL
You will line manage all client-facing volunteers
Your line-manager will be the Chief Executive Officer of Walking With in North Tyneside
Salary for 22 hours per week (flexible) is £11400 per annum
30 days holiday per annum pro rata plus statutory bank holidays. Annual leave needs to be retained for Christmas/New Year closure of the organisation.
Employer-matched pension scheme available
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants who should forward:
- A current CV
- A letter of application which addresses the requirements of the person specification in detail.
These should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org by December 6th 2019. Interviews will be held on December 19th 2019. Applicants who have not been invited to attend by this date should assume they have been unsuccessful. The successful candidate will commence employment on January 6th 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.