'North of Tyne' Devolution Deal Consultation
Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland councils have agreed a once in a lifetime deal to transfer powers and funding from central Government to the North of Tyne.
The 'minded-to devolution deal' aims to increase opportunities and living standards across the area, and build on the North of Tyne’s economic and cultural assets. The deal provides the opportunity to access new powers and funding, including:
- A new, directly elected Mayor to give a strong and powerful voice to our area
- £600 million of new money to invest in the North of Tyne
- Projects to improve education, skills and help people take advantage of job opportunities
- Local control of the £23 million per year budget for adult education
- Powers to develop land for economic growth and regeneration
- Projects that increase the growth and productivity of our rural communities
- Working better with Government to boost trade and investment
- Projects to grow our digital sector and low-carbon economy
- A partnership to continue to manage good-quality public transport across the North East
- A commitment to explore new opportunities for the North of Tyne in future
The 'North of Tyne' councils have stated they want to build meaningful partnerships with key stakeholders and a consultation on the governance arrangements will launch in December 2017 to February 2018.
Full details about the consultation and more information about the devolution deal are available at www.northoftynedevolution.com.