Earlier this year we shared some free virtual workshops from Gas Safe Charity aimed at raising awareness of carbon monoxide risks for those working in the homes of vulnerable people.
The workshops covered the sources, signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, how to help prevent it and what the implications are to you and the person in whose home you're working. They also highlighted how to spot and address low level risks that can have serious consequences.
Following the initial run of workshops, the charity contacted us with a success story from one of the sessions, which demonstrates how the training raises awareness and can help save lives. Earlier this year a member of the North Yorkshire County Council's reablement team was visiting a client, only a few weeks after attending the Think CO workshop. He spotted a gas fire showing signs that it was not working properly and the client described headaches, nausea and dizziness. After an emergency visit from a Gas Safe registered engineer, the fire was condemned because it was leaking carbon monoxide.
Further workshops are planned throughout May and June, aimed at frontline staff from social care, the NHS, fire and rescue services, the voluntary and the private sector working in the UK. If you or a team member would like to participate in a free, hour long Think CO workshop find dates and book your place on Eventbrite.